Thursday 22 January 2015

Starling preparing for the breeding season.

After a misty start the day brightened up and there was some warmth in sunshine even though, where it stays in the shade, the ground remained frozen. While the sun was out some birds continued to show courtship behaviour (see earlier posts). I saw  two Starlings emerge from a hole in an Alder tree at the corner of my garden - a hole that was used by Starlings last year. Of course I don't know if either of the birds I saw today where the ones that bred there last year, not do I know for sure if they were a pair, however recently I have noticed bits of dried grass dropped out of what are supposed to be Swift nest boxes on the side of my house. Since erecting the Swift box a few years ago it has always been used by one or more pairs of Starlings. The Swifts don't get a look in as the Starlings are already in occupation by the time the Swifts arrive! In fact the Starlings go in the box throughout the year and I suspect they may roost in it during the winter. So the significance of the bits of dropped grass is that the Starlings seem to be starting to make nests, which leads me to think that the Starlings going in the Alder tree hole were a pair. More on Starlings here http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-of-month/starling?dm_i=IG4,35G9V,39GIKV,BAICI,1

Male Starling singing outside the Alder tree nest hole March 2014. 

The Swift nest box on the side of my house.



1 comment: