Monday 19 January 2015

Cold snap.

The last three days have been cold. On Friday night there was been a cm or so of snow. Then on Saturday night there was a further snowfall which meant it was a good day to go out to look for animal tracks. We weren't disappointed. My photos are below, including the highlight for me, Otter prints across the frozen surface of the Caldon Canal near Cheddleton.

A visit to Deep Hayes Country Park this morning also held a new sighting. There were three Little Grebes along with Teal, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot and Moorhen all feeding where the middle pool had remained free of ice. This is the first time I have seen more than one Little Grebe on Deep Hayes pools. I am still not sure if they breed there as I have also only ever seen one Little Grebe at a time and this has always been outside the breeding season. While I sat in the bird hide eating my lunch I was surprised to see five (or possibly six) Robins around the feeders. They had all come to get some easy pickings from the feeding station; though, what I assume was the resident bird, was not very happy. I watched a couple of skirmishes and aggressive displays between intruders and territory holder!

When I got home it was calm and sunny and I watched two male Blue Tits courting females. Presumably the winter sunshine coupled with the current calm conditions meant that these birds felt able to indulge in some breeding behaviour.

Grey Squirrel.

Rabbit.

Otter.

Fox.

Footpath with trail of badger bedding.

The victorious Robin.

Upended ducks. 

2 comments:

  1. Wendy Great Blog Brilliant I love to see Teal Myself last time i saw Teal was at Basford Bridge Cheddleton Smashing Birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy Great Blog Brilliant I love to see Teal Myself last time i saw Teal was at Basford Bridge Cheddleton Smashing Birds

    ReplyDelete