Friday 11 April 2014

Broken branch niches and leech.

The storm on 12th February 2014 caused some trees to be blown over, and in my garden a branch blew off an Alder  tree. This event resulted in two niches being created for wildlife. Yesterday evening I lifted the fallen branch and found a Peacock butterfly sheltering on the underside. I quickly replaced the log in the same position as I found it so as not to disturb the insect. Then today I discovered the nest site of a pair of Starlings - having wondered where the nest site was since watching the male singing from a perch in the tree over the past few weeks.

Starling nest cavity in Alder tree.

Peacock butterfly overnight shelter under fallen branch off the Alder tree. 

And I also rescued a Leech (probably a horse leech) from being dried up in the sun. it was crawling over the grass near the garden pond and seemed to be stuck on a dried up piece of grass. I lifted it up and put it in the pond. Maybe it had come out of the pond and was off to find a partner with which to breed. Horse Leeches actually don't feed on horse's blood., they latch onto snails and other invertebrates to get their nourishment. I see them in my garden pond most years. 

Horse Leech on grass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment