Wednesday 26 August 2015

Unusual sighting on Caldon Canal today.

I decided to walk to work (in Norton Heights) along the Caldon Canal  this morning. It took 1hr. 20mins. and I got absolutely soaking wet! However it was worth it as I saw a juvenile Common Sandpiper feeding alongside the Caldon Canal between Endon and Stockton Brook. This species is more usually associated with lake shores and stream and river edges. They are a summer visitor, coming here from Africa to breed. The bottom photo shows the garden where I noticed its distinctive and characteristic bobbing at the edge of the water. 





4 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy Great Spot couple of years ago saw WATERRAIL in that area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I found a dead Water Rail along there. Never seen or heard a live one though!! Actually when I spotted the sandpiper a woman saw my binoculars and asked me had I seen the Kingfisher. I hadn't but I was thinking, "So what? I'm watching a COMMON SANDPIPER for goodness sake - in smeone's garden on the edge of a canal next to houses! Blimy!!"

      Delete