Thursday 12 February 2015

Wildlife Crime?

On 18th January I was walking along the Caldon Canal towpath through Cheddleton, using my binoculars as I was on the look out for birds. Among the various species I saw were some that surprised me. It was about eleven Mallards enclosed in a chicken wire cage on one of the local shooting estates (see photo). They appeared to be being used to lure more ducks into position to be shot (there was a flock of free Mallards outside the cage). I checked out the relevant legislation and so I'm pretty sure it is illegal to use wild birds in this way, and in any case the photo shows that one is hanging by its neck as it appears to have got stuck in the wire on the roof; this suggests that even if, in principle, the decoy is legal, its construction may not be. So I reported what I had seen to the local Wildlife Crime Police Officer, who it turns out is a PCSO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_community_support_officer. When he eventually got back to me (and anyone who has reported any non-emergency to the police recently will know how many days that can take!), we had a lengthy conversation. At no time did the police officer suggest that I was wrong in my opinion that using trapped Mallards as a decoy is illegal, however he did say that the gamekeeper told him that the birds were being kept like that for their eggs. Sharp-eyed readers will notice the obvious flaw in this statement, as the ducks are nearly all males!! The policeman told me that he wanted to maintain his good relationship with the keeper so had suggested to him that in future any activities such as this should be done out of the public eye. 

Did the officer believe the ducks were for eggs or did he want to avoid spoiling his relations with a local business? I don't know, but I do know I will be keeping my eye out for other suspicious activities in Cheddleton.


3 comments:

  1. Well Spotted Wendy great report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but, the police seem reluctant to take any action. I'm not convince the police officer I spoke to knew whether was was being done was legal or not and he didn't seem inclined to bother to find out (by checking the law I mean),. He seemed to have the attitude "as as long as its happening out of sight then its out of mind". Very disappointing,especially as last time I reported a potential wildlife crime, this time to bats, the police officer went to the site, looked at what was happening and then went back to the organisation responsible and warned them that they might be going to commit a crime.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete