Friday 6 February 2015

A walk up Church Lane across fields and roads to Tinster Wood and back.

A frosty, clear and calm start to the day caused the appearance of red streaky contrails.


On the way to work I noticed the Rooks are back at the rookery nests.


On a walk this afternoon I admired the view towards The Roaches and Stanley.



Off Broad Lane (Brown Edge) a few Meadow Pipits feeding in a pasture where horses hooves have disturbed the ground - a first time I have seen them there.

I saw my second Dandelion flower of the year today, the first was along the disused railway seen on Tuesday. Though we are currently subjected to a cold patch with sub-zero temperatures overnight there has been quite extended sunny periods at times, and I assume this is what has stimulated the Dandelion's  to flower. They will provide a very early source of nectar for any (very) early flying insects.


Then ,when I got home, I discovered that there is a second Starling nest site in a cavity in the Alder tree in the corner of my garden. Both nest sites are in cavities that have been created when branches have broken off the main trunk taking a plug of cork cambium and other woody tissue with it.





No comments:

Post a Comment