Saturday 13 June 2015

Swifts in Endon.

Endon has at least  two nest sites for Swifts; one is the roof of Alder House (where the local pharmacy is), the other is my street. Here is a couple of photos of a Swift entering the wall cavity via a broken air vent on the side of the house of one of my neighbours. On Tuesday, while I was carrying out the late season visit to the nearby (about 6km) Ford Green Hall Nature Reserve for the British Trust for Ornithology's Breeding Bird Survey I saw tens (possibly around 100) of Swifts feeding over the pool, along with a few House Martins. Presumably there had been a mass emergence of some species of aquatic invertebrate. We see about eight Swifts flying around Endon. Does this mean there are four pairs breeding in our village? I'm not sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment