Tuesday 7 April 2015

Three species of butterflies on one April day.

Today was the first day of this year I have seen butterflies in my garden. Butterflies may have been in the garden over the previous couple of days as we had lovely sunny afternoons on Saturday and Sunday, but I was in places other than my garden for most of those days, so I wouldn't have seen them. Anyway from about midday today I saw a Brimstone first, then a Comma and finally a Peacock. All these species overwinter as adults, and if they survive predation by small mammals, spiders etc., they start to feed and look for a mate once the weather warms to a sufficient temperature for them to fly. The photos below were taken at the end of last year.  

Brimstone.

Comma.

Peacock. 

1 comment:

  1. Saw the same three while I was at the crossover bridge on the Cauldon canal. Also saw a seven spot ladybird in my garden on Sunday.

    Pat B

    ReplyDelete