Sunday 8 March 2015

Frogspawn and Jackdaws nesting

I saw my first frogspawn of this year in a drainage ditch alongside the former railway line alongside Rudyard Lake. This isn't the first frogspawn to be seen in our area this year, and some of the clumps I saw look as if they were two or three days old. This isn't the earliest I have recorded seeing frogspawn in the past ten years, the previous earlier sightings were 13/02/2011 and 16/02/2007, both in my garden pond. 



I also noticed today that Jackdaws have started building a nest in one of their traditional nest sites in Alder House, Endon. These photos (below) are from 07/04/2013 and show a Jackdaw perched on the edge of a chimney pot in which it 's nest was located (in my street) and the source of some of the nest material; fur off a heifer who was living in the field behind my house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment