Tuesday 18 March 2014

My first Chiffchaff in Endon this year and a Mayfly in my house.

Today was the first day I heard a Chfiffchaff in Endon. it was singing in a scrubby woody area off  Brook Lane. I also watched Jackdaws sitting and in flying around a rookery in the same Lane. The rooks were also at the nests I wondered if the Jackdaws may be using some of the old rooks nests this year, but came to no conclusion. Also I was alerted by its call to a Kingfisher on the stream/ditch that runs beside the disused railway and under Station Road, Endon. I have seen one here before, plus, in past years others flying around that general area; probably having been attracted to the streams and a nearby large garden pond.  

When I got home from work the mayfly was on the inside of my kitchen window. I had the window open for a while yesterday, so presumably it came in then. Mayflies typically require high quality water bodies with plenty of oxygen and little pollution - I have never seen one in Endon before. I doubt the canal would provide suitable habitat and I suspect the local streams to be fairly eutrophic (nutrient-rich) therefore low in oxygen judging by the quantity of filamentous algae and other similar members of the sewage fungus community that blankets the stones it the bottom. 

The stream/ditch by Station Road, Endon.

Two-tailed Mayfly in my house today.

No comments:

Post a Comment